Open Positions
Nigel Smart
2004-12-08 18:25:48 UTC
Lecturer in Computer Science

Working in the Department of Computer Science, you will have a proven research
record or show excellent research promise. You will be expected to contribute
to the research of the department, to teach undergraduate courses and to supervi
se
PhD students and postdoctoral workers. We have a lively research culture with
current interests in Digital Media, Cryptography and Security, Architecture and
Design, Machine Learning, Mobile and Wearable Computing and Quantum Computing.
We also have many links with the computer, communications, microelectronics and
media industries in the Bristol region, providing opportunities for collaborativ
research and teaching, secondments and new ventures. We are interested in applic
ants
from any research area.

Grade: Lecturer Grade B
Salary: <A3>27,989-<A3>35,883

Contact for informal enquiries:
Prof D May ***@bristol.ac.uk Tel. 0117 954 5134

Closing date for applications: 9.00 am on 20 January 2005

See
http://www.bris.ac.uk/boris/jobs/ads?ID=30617

--
Prof. Nigel P. Smart | Phone: +44 (0)117 954 5163
Computer Science Department, | Fax: +44 (0)117 954 5208
University of Bristol, BS8 1UB, UK | URL: http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~nigel/
Nigel Smart
2004-12-14 06:28:22 UTC
194. Probably the revolutionaries should even AVOID assuming political
power, whether by legal or illegal means, until the industrial system
is stressed to the danger point and has proved itself to be a failure
in the eyes of most people. Suppose for example that some "green"
party should win control of the United States Congress in an election.
In order to avoid betraying or watering down their own ideology they
would have to take vigorous measures to turn economic growth into
economic shrinkage. To the average man the results would appear
disastrous: There would be massive unemployment, shortages of
commodities, etc. Even if the grosser ill effects could be avoided
through superhumanly skillful management, still people would have to
begin giving up the luxuries to which they have become addicted.
Dissatisfaction would grow, the "green" party would be voted out of of
fice and the revolutionaries would have suffered a severe setback. For
this reason the revolutionari